Genesis Worship Center History
Genesis Worship Center was established in 2003 under the leadership of Pastor George Matthews. With hundreds in attendance at the inaugural service, it was clear that Genesis possessed a unique combination of anointed word and powerful worship experience. Because of the foundation for transforming lives; the congregation grew rapidly. As Genesis continued to grow, it began evident that a permanent location was necessary for continued growth and community support. In 2005, Genesis Worship Center purchased a 16,000 square foot Church at 2708 Ritchie Street in Oakland, CA. This location, fully renovated (interior and exterior) and ADA Compliant with new restrooms, a dining hall, an overflow area, a state of the art video technology, air conditioning and a brand new parking lot, operates over 25 ministries.
In 2006, Genesis Worship Center launched Fresh Start Academy which provides Case Management, Job Readiness Training and Computer Training Classes to the community. Additionally, Genesis provides food for those in need on a weekly basis. The commitment to community development and improvement of Genesis Worship has been acknowledged by some of Oakland’s most prominent elected officials.
- Recognition by Supervisor Nate Miley, 2003, August 2006 and February 2016.
- Alameda County Board of Supervisors Commendation….September 25, 2015
- Mayor Proclamation establishing May 26. 2006 as Genesis Worship Center Day in the City of Oakland by Mayor Jerry Brown.
- Mayor Proclamation establishing May 19th-23rd 2010 as Genesis Worship Center Week in the City of Oakland by Mayor Ron Dellums.
- City of Oakland Proclamation for Recognition for the contributions made to the City of Oakland in 2011 and 2016
- Recognition by Congresswoman Barbara Lee – May 19, 2010
- Recognition by Senator Diane Feinstein – April 27, 2007
Under Pastor Matthew’s leadership, the church has had:
- An active community development program that focuses on improving the lives of residents in Alameda County with over 25 active ministries
- Every 3rd Saturday, where volunteers provide spiritual care services to the community by knocking on doors and provide counseling and religious support services to the community
- Has led Peace and Stop The Violence Rally’s throughout Oakland in May 2007 and in August 2013
- Is actively involved with providing Mental Health Services to the community
- A host of youth programs that include weekly tutoring, mentoring and family support programs
Genesis Worship Center has received various grants in support of the Fresh Start Academy from Alameda County Probation, Alameda County Behavioral Health and the City of Oakland. In addition, Genesis Worship Center has been in discussions with Alameda County Behavioral Health since 2016 to build 4 one-bed room apartments and has already received approval for the City of Oakland to build these units.
Since 2011, Pastor George Matthews has served as the Chaplaincy Administrator for the County of Alameda Inmate Chaplaincy Program with respect and a high level of integrity. Also, since
2012, Pastor Matthews has successfully served as the Chaplaincy Administrator for the chaplaincy program at JJC. Since October 2018, Genesis Worship Center has assembled a staff of chaplains to ensure that there would be no disruption of Spiritual Care services at JJC.